Friday, June 20, 2008

My Life Revolves Around Poop

I'm not sure when it happened, but for some reason my whole life revolves around poop. My daughter is almost 3, and we're attempting to potty train. She'll make yellow in the little potty, but not brown. And at the risk of being gross, it usually is fairly pellet like, which is good and bad. Because for about a week, pellets would fall out of her diaper as I carried it to the bathroom to empty into the toilet. So then I'd find a poo pellet on the carpet, or the floor of the bathroom. The worst was when I found a dried up pellet on her changing table. You might think I should have changed the way I dealt with the diapers. In hindsight, that would have made sense. Although I have been paying better attention lately.

I've been changing diapers for almost 3 years now, and basically my whole day revolves around changing the baby---er, toddler. Change her again. Is that a smell? Does she need to be changed? And let's not forget picking up the doggy do on the lawn. We don't even have a dog! I've seen zoos that have cleaner cages than our yard.

There was even a 3 month window back in 2007 where my husband had a temporary colostomy bag, and while I didn't have to empty it out, I did have to help him attach the new one, and help clean the ostomy area. Let's just say I have a deep respect for anyone who goes into nursing as a career, and particularly the ostomy nurses. I think they should be paid more. In fact, anyone who has to deal with body fluids and or other related items should get paid a lot.

But that's off topic. I forsee a day, deep in the future, where my life no longer revolves on diaper changes, or if everyone has gone to the potty. Possibly in 20 years, when my darling daughter is graduating from college. I guess we'll see. In the meantime, I guess I'll continue to buy the big box of off-brand wipes at Wal-Mart, and if I have any sense, some plastic gloves as well.

No comments: