Thursday, August 28, 2008

Is Everyday Halloween?

Halloween is just around the corner, which brings back the age-old question of at what age it is okay to expose your child to Ministry. You see, now that there is a ward Trunk Or Treat instead of the traditional trick or treat where you go to the neighbors and perhaps get an apple with razor blades in it, everyone gathers at the church house to hand candy out. And each year (okay, this will be our second year of actually going) my husband and I discuss creating a special Halloween playlist just for the occasion. We also debate taking the car so we can have the rockingest trunk in the parking lot, since it's the one with the 12 in the trunk and we still haven't gotten around to putting a sub in the Lumbering Ox, and to be honest, we probably never will. Although we will figure out why the back speakers aren't working, and why the front drivers side speakers are getting quiet. Perhaps I need new speakers? These are at least 10 years old, after all.

But getting back to the original question--whether or not it is okay to add Every Day Is Like Halloween to the playlist. I say it is, Brent says it probably isn't, and at some point we need to get out the liner sheet and figure it out. If the playlists on the home MP3 player hadn't conked, except for Alternative 1 for some reason, I could tell you what was on last year's Halloween playlist. Pretty certain it was mainly loaded with Oingo Boingo--what can I saw, Brent is a huge Elfman fan--and it would have had anything off of New Wave Halloween that didn't have inappropriate language, such as one of the five songs named Halloween. And of course Time Warp from Rocky Horror. And I think Feed My Frankenstein by Alice Cooper. And the ever cheesy A Nightmare on My Street by none other than the Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff. And Pet Sematary by the Ramones. And probably the Batman theme, from the Batman movie with Michael Keaton--I mentioned the Elfman thing, right?

Anyway, I'm going to have to rebuild the playlist, which brings me back to the question of if it's okay to let a 3 year old listen to Ministry. As a former DJ, I feel it's my responsibility to expose her to a wide range of tunes, spanning classical to classic rock to classic alternative. In fact, just today we listened to the Itsy Bitsy Spider, including the Big Fat Spider and Teensy Eensy spider verses, and then Brent switched to the radio and we decided Billy Idol is an important part of music education also.

I think I'll put it in.

No comments: