Monday, January 12, 2009

I Knew It!


According to VH1, the number one heavy metal song is Guns N Roses "Welcome to the Jungle." I could have told you that. I believe I've already written a post talking about the many conversations/arguments my brothers and I get into about which GNR song is the best, and I almost always say "Welcome To The Jungle".

I had a good time watching the whole countdown, though. What can I say, I'm a sucker for top 100 shows. I even watched the top 100 (or however many there were) country duets. And I believe I called that it would be Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton with "Islands in the Stream" taking number one.

Here's the thing. I was raised by a father who listened to country, and a mother who listened to classic rock. My mother, may she rest in peace, got into an argument in Relief Society about rock music, taking the position that the best song ever written was Ozzy Osbourne's "Crazy Train".

My husband Brent and I argue about music frequently, often about my training H to like classic rock. He has been, and always will be, a huge fan of Oingo Boingo. The first song I ever heard in his truck was Little Girls. Boingo is great, and I fully intend to put a Boingo quote on Brent's headstone.

I am a product of the '90s. I fully agree that Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is the quintessential '90s song. No offense to my mom or Ozzy, but I personally feel it may be the best song ever written. I mean, if you don't count "Freebird."

I have a theory on music called ELCR--Everyone Likes Classic Rock. I really need to make it Everyone But Brent and His Dad Like Classic Rock, but EBBHDLCR is a really long acronym. And Brent is coming around. He likes the Eagles now, so that's progress. And he's up for a little Pink Floyd once in awhile.

No comments: