Monday, September 22, 2008

Ah the DVR

Amazingly enough, it's time for the mid-season finale of Eureka. Personally, I'd be fine if we didn't keep watching Eureka, especially now that Stark is gone, but Brent enjoys it and it's one we can actually watch while H is up, unlike Burn Notice, which is way too violent. That's the reason there are 4 unwatched episodes on the DVR. And there are 5 episodes of Stargate Atlantis, and probably 2 Sarah Connor Chronicles. We actually didn't start watching those until summer, so we had a whole season to watch back to back. Which is one of the joys of DVR. You can save up shows, assuming no one tells you what's going on and spoils them for you, and then when there is a dearth of good programming on, you are set. So we'll probably save Sarah Connor for the summer of 2009, or at least December 2008 while we're waiting for 24 to come back.

Anyway, one of the things I really hate about Eureka, other than it is the most predictable show on television outside of the Doodlebops--Moe always pulls the cord and gets wet--is the blatant product placement. I get it--the ratings are bad, the only way to pay for the show is to turn it into a commercial for Degree Deodorant, but must we have whole episodes with lines like "We stay cool under pressure" "Stay cool under pressure" "When it's hot, wear our stupid deodorant" Okay, that last one I made up, but the point is the product placement is out of hand. I accept some of the responsibility--we skip most of the commercials now that we have the DVR, but we don't skip all of them. Like the Sonic commercials--those crack me up. "I'll be Pepperjack the pirate and you be Cheddar the Accountant." Or my favorite "I'm no good at ice cream math."

No comments: